Tuesday, July 28, 2009

On Saturday we went geocaching again. It was a very hot day but we were out in the forest enjoying the shade. It was actually quite beautiful. Joey took this picture which sort of shows the trees and area we were hiking in.We found three caches that day. Here is one that we found in the trees. As you can see, sometime they are quite large. That makes them easier to find.

When we walked out of the trees, there was a police officer standing on the trail waiting for us. He said to me, "Hey. What are you doing back there?" Joey laughs at me because I got a little nervous by this. It's not normal to have police officers come up to you when you're not doing anything wrong. Anyway, I hesitated for a second and then decided to tell him the truth. Because geocaching is not illegal, right? So, I said, "we're geocaching." Then he said, "I just wanted to see if you would tell me the truth! I'm geocaching too." Ok, I let me breath out. He wasn't out to get us. We talked with him for a bit and then we all went on our way. We picked up our first travel bug and we placed our first one also. The one we picked up came from England. I can't wait to see where ours travels to. In the end, it was a fun time.

That afternoon, when we got home, Joey found this little critter behind our shed.

Do you know what it is? It's a possum. He seemed really cute and we wanted to catch him to remove from our property and release him somewhere else. It's unfortunate though because if you look real close in the picture, you can see blood on the wood and the wound in her side. She was probably attacked by Ko-Ko or Chloe (the dog we were baby-sitting last week). Joey still got her out and took her somewhere else but I'm pretty sure she died. It was super sad. They say that possums don't carry rabies and they are really not harmful. They have poor vision and will "play dead" when attacked. Overall, they seem like an ok animal to have around (at least they are better than mice).

2 comments:

Mom said...

What are in the caches you find? and how do I become a follower or whatever it is I need to be?

Erin Leigh said...

More pictures please!!!